All About Coaching
All GOTR of Montgomery County, Inc. coaches complete mandatory training requirements before the program begins. They are provided with a very well-developed, well-researched curriculum which has been used successfully by GOTR International many times around the country. Each coach must complete a volunteer application and a non-compete agreement, and is subject to a criminal background check at the expense of GOTR of Montgomery County. Each site must have a two + person coaching team.
- Serve as a role model for young girls, understand and believe in the mission of GOTR, and have a desire for fun.
- Become CPR/FirstAid certified-at least one coach present at every lesson. Cost is reimbursed by GOTR of Montgomery County up to $40.00.
- (New Coaches) Attend a training session and watch our online training video.
- Prepare for and supervise up to 20 one-hour-long lessons in a manner consistent with the GOTR International® philosophy and curricula.
- Provide healthy, individually wrapped snacks(at the expense of GOTR of Montgomery County), at the conclusion of each lesson.
- Arrive at site meeting location 10 minutes before the start of each lesson.
- Make sure that each participant is picked up and/or in the care of another adult (i.e., after-school program or another parent with permission) before leaving the site.
- Pick up and distribute program t-shirts, water bottles, as well as end of season 5k supplies in a timely manner.
- Communicate with the families of the participants to inform them of all program and 5k related information.
- Plan and coordinate the end of season celebration.
- Run/walk with the girls in the end of season 5k.
- Additional: A minimum of 2 trained coaches are required to attend each lesson. At least one coach at each site must be female, and all coaches must be at least 21 years of age. One coach per team must be CPR/First Aid certified and present at each lesson. All coaches must be background checked (at our expense) through our vendor, Unique Background Solutions, or through Montgomery County Public Schools.
- Must be a high school student, 16 years or older.
- Complete a volunteer application.
- Serve as a role model for young girls, and understand and believe in the mission of GOTR.
- Encourage and cheer for all participants.
- Participate in games and workouts with the girls.
- Attend the end of season 5k with the coaches, program participants and other volunteers.
- Additional: Students who volunteer as assistant coaches can qualify for community service hours, through SSL.
In addition to the wonderful experience of working with the girls, coaches receive the following benefits:
- Early registration for their child to participate in Girls on the Run of Montgomery County.
- Discounted GOTR program fees.
- Program t-shirt.
- Free entry into the end of season 5K.
- Reimbursement for CPR/First Aid training.
- Seasonal coach gift.
- Knowing that you made a difference in the lives of many young girls.
- Any additional benefits from sponsors throughout the season.