Winter Outdoor Safety:
Even when it’s cold, there is lots of fun to be had outside if you follow a few safety tips:
1) Eat a snack before you go outdoors. The calories will give your body the energy it needs to stay warm.
2) Dress in layers. Long underwear should be the first layer. These are made from special fabrics that help to keep you warm. Next should be a long-sleeved shirt followed by a fleece jacket or sweater. The last layer should include a waterproof coat and pants, hat, gloves, warm socks and boots. Layers are especially important when playing in the snow because they protect your body from becoming too wet and cold.
3) Snow is lots of fun to play in, but it also reflects the sun’s ultraviolet rays! That means, it’s important to apply sunscreen to your face before going outside. Don’t forget lip balm with sunscreen too.
4) If you have the chance to ice skate, sled or go snowboarding, remember your protective gear. Be sure to wear your helmet especially, you might also consider wearing knee and elbow pads as well.
5) Listen to your body. If the cold is uncomfortable or you start to shiver a lot, it’s time to come inside to take a break, remove wet clothing and warm up.